The normal spine viewed from the back/front should be straight but an individual with scoliosis has an abnormal “S” or “C” curvature of the spine.
It usually begins as a subtle spinal distortion from birth or childhood and progresses to more serious distortion into adulthood, compounded by poor postural habits.
In most cases, the cause of scoliosis is unknown (idiopathic). But some possible causes could be due to:
– hereditary factors;
– birth defects;
– challenging birthing process when the delicate cervical spine of the baby got misaligned and left in that stuck position for life, thus causing the rest of the spine to develop abnormally;
– neuromuscular diseases;
– spinal traumas or infections…
Scoliosis signs and symptoms in children:
– Shoulders may not be of the same height (one is higher than the other)
– Head is not centered directly above the pelvis
– Ribcage is not symmetrical; ribs may be at different heights
– A shoulder blade is higher and more prominent than the other
– One hip is more prominent than the other
– Clothes, especially pants do not fit properly
– The individual may lean to one side
– Uneven leg lengths
Such physical distortions may lead to back pain, hip pain, knee problems, muscular imbalance etc.
Scoliosis may become a permanent deformity. Allowed to advance, it may lead to lungs, heart and many other health, physical and psychological issues.
Chiropractic care maintains the integrity of the spine and allows the spine to develop optimally. Proper care can prevent progression of the curve and may help reduce it.
|Book your Spinal Checkup here at reduced fee|
|Read our Blog for more Health Facts|